…or, ‘in awe of the male nesting instinct…’
So…wow. You ever live with someone for nearly 10 years and then they go and do something – or a series of things – that totally blows your mind? Yeah, well, turns out I’ve been living with a secret carpentry/renovating genius all these years and had NO IDEA. Until now. Not that he didn’t do a lot before, but nothing like this (and with remarkably little swearing).
To re-cap, in the past 3 days, Sam has:
1. built shelves in the living room for the record collection
2. built a desk in the study/nursery
3. added two new storage shelves in the study/nursery (- what the hell are we going to call this room?)
4. finished the trim in the bathroom
5. installed all the quarter round and moldings for the hallway baseboards
6. installed new light fixtures
7. replaced all the thresholds on all the doorways
8. cut all the doors to fit the thresholds
…and a million other small things that have been bugging the shit out of me since the summer.
And, voila (which is what it felt like – I think I maybe had time to go to the corner store and they were done)
– here’s the new shelves:
Bathroom trim and other improvements:
– which might not look like the biggest deal, but remember what we had to cover up here after the tiling was ‘done’:
It required either an entire new row of tiles to cover all that crap at the top, or a very WIDE piece of trim. We chose trim – and I no longer feel I need to pee with my eyes closed.
And really, how did I live with that light fixture for so long? Gross. We’ve had this $5 bargain from Walmart ready to install for about 4 months now…
New medicine cabinet is on hold (oh, and Sam built new shelves for that too – I’m telling you, he is on FIRE).
But why are there not pictures of everything Sam accomplished? Because he’s too damn fast, that’s why. By the time I get my lazy ass in gear and waddle over to take a ‘before’ picture, it’s already been transformed into an ‘after’. Oh, and in the case of the study/nursery I still need to organize things so the photos do the new desk justice – we are almost there (as in the room no longer looks like a craptastic dumping ground), and I have recovered from my nursery panic/frenzy – hence building of desk and not change table, though it could be both.
Sam is like a man possessed. Let no one tell you it is just women who get the nesting instinct. Oh no…I’m too busy feeling fat and eating candy on the couch for that (especially now the gestational diabetes test came back negative – horray! candy for everyone!).
Give a man about to be a dad a saw and a nail gun and magical things can happen…